Virtually everyone can expect to experience problems with their wisdom teeth at some point in life. This is because most Aurora men, women, and teens do not have adequate space available in their mouths for their wisdom teeth to come in properly or completely. As a board-certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon, Dr. Williams can remove your wisdom teeth safely, as he only employs the use of the most advanced techniques and technology available.
Benefits of Wisdom Tooth Removal
Wisdom teeth often cause pain and discomfort to patients as they attempt to push through the gum line and make their grand appearance. Because of this, their removal can benefit Aurora men, women, and teens in many ways, including:
- Relief from daily pain in the jaw and neck
- Fewer orthodontic problems caused by over-crowding
- Protection from damage caused to nearby teeth such as cavities and root damage
- A decreased risk of oral disease and infection
- Decreased orofacial pain
- Decreased headache caused by the pressure placed on nerves and bone
- Protection from cysts, tumors, and damage to the jaw
Call Dr. Williams today to schedule your initial consultation so you can find out how wisdom tooth removal can benefit you and address your specific concerns.
Is Wisdom Tooth Removal Right for You?
Most wisdom teeth removal procedures are performed on teens and young adults, as this is when the wisdom teeth begin to attempt to erupt. Dr. Williams recommends Aurora area patients choose to have their wisdom teeth removed sooner rather than later.
While Dr. Williams never pressures his patients to undergo any procedure they are uncomfortable with, he does recommend patients who believe they can benefit from wisdom tooth removal to avoid waiting as the tooth roots will only become stronger and more resistant to change later on.
Most patients who believe they need (or who desire to have) wisdom tooth removal will be considered good candidates for the procedure. However, Dr. Williams will need to perform a full evaluation before deciding whether or not this treatment option is in your best interest.
In general, good candidates for wisdom tooth removal include those who:
- Are in good overall health and have no medical conditions that will prevent them from having surgery
- Are experiencing pain in the jaw or neck
- Have increased headaches that are not related to another medical issue
- Have experienced damage to their existing teeth
- Have been told their wisdom teeth are impacted and will not erupt properly
- Are experiencing crowding caused by their wisdom teeth attempting to push through the gumline
- Have developed an infection or gum disease in the area of their wisdom teeth
To find out if wisdom tooth removal is right for you, call today to schedule a consultation with Dr. Williams.
Cost of Wisdom Tooth Removal
The cost of wisdom tooth removal varies from patient to patient and will be determined after a full examination by Dr. Williams. When you visit him in Aurora for your initial consultation, he will also take images that will aid him in the development of a treatment plan to address your specific concerns. Upon the conclusion of your visit, his team will provide you with a cost estimate for your procedure.
Dr. Williams is an in-network provider for several dental insurance plans. Even if he is out of network, his team will work with your insurance company. If you need to pay for your wisdom tooth removal over time, talk to a member of our team to discuss the financing options we offer.
Recovery After Wisdom Tooth Removal
Most Aurora area patients should expect their wisdom tooth removal recovery to take about 2 weeks. While the recovery time will vary from patient to patient, you should expect your healing process to look like this:
- Blood clots will form over the first 24 hours following the removal of your wisdom teeth. These clots are normal and a natural process of healing, but more than that, they are vital to the healing process. Do not dislodge the blood clots as you could end up with dry socket and require further treatment.
- After 3-5 days, the initial swelling in your mouth and cheeks will begin to improve.
- If Dr. Williams used stitches to close your surgical sites, they will dissolve within a week after your surgery.
- Stiffness in your jaw should subside within 7-10 days.
- If you have experienced any bruising on the outside of your face, that should subside within 2 weeks, and you’ll be good as new!
To encourage the best recovery process possible, Dr. Williams recommends patients:
- Keep their head elevated for several days
- Apply ice to your cheeks to reduce swelling
- Stay hydrated, but avoid using a straw to drink
- Until you are able to eat soft foods, choose healthy liquids
If you believe you need to have your wisdom teeth removed, call Dr. Williams in Aurora at (303) 493-1933 to schedule your initial consultation.